Friday 16 June 2023

Unfortunate by Nicole Dykes (Black Diamond Novel - Unlucky 13 Book #3)

Title: ⟫ Unfortunate (An Unlucky 13 Novel)

Author: ⟫ Nicole Dykes

Rating: ⟫ 3.5/5

Blurb: ⟫ Welcome to the Black Diamond Resort and Spa . . .

I’m in exile in this luxurious refuge after a scandal, which shouldn’t be a scandal at all. I’m Elijah Hunt, former child actor, now beloved action star.

When a picture of me in a compromising position is posted online, for the entire world to see, my agent sent me here to escape the limelight.

But here, it’s different from my crazy, loud, glitzy life. It’s quiet and peaceful. No one seems impressed with my celebrity.

And no one is less impressed than the sexy, aloof member of the cleaning crew. He couldn’t care less who I am or why I’m here.

He’s convinced I’m one of the fortunate ones—and I suppose I am. I’ve had it all—big houses, the best care, money, fame, and shallow adoration . . . but I’ve never been loved.

I’ve never known if people like me for who I am underneath it all or just for my money and fame.

And to me . . . that seems awfully unfortunate.

Review: ⟫ I think I must be missing my emotion chip this week because I can tell that this was an emotional read, with both Atlas and Elijah daring to hope for more, all whilst being terrified of the potential consequences to their heart, mental health, life yet I didn’t find myself connecting with either of the m/c.

I could well understand the underlying message about what can be perceived as fortunate not always being the prize that it seems, but I just wasn’t feeling anything. I can see from other reviews that other people definitely felt that connection and I’m sorry I missed out on it.

The other thing I would say was that the ending/resolution felt a little rushed. Now it may be that we see more of this couple further on in the series, but I wanted to see more. I think this is more of a me issue –the book was well written, the sex scenes were good and I enjoyed the story in general.

I received an ARC from GRR.

No comments:

Post a Comment