Wednesday 28 June 2023

Exception by Cora Rose (Black Diamond Novel - Unlucky 13 #5)

Title: ⟫ Exception (An Unlucky 13 Novel)

Author: ⟫ Cora Rose

Rating: ⟫ 3.75/5

Blurb: ⟫ Welcome to the Black Diamond Resort and Spa . . .

When I fled my small town home to fly across the globe for a potential job on a remote island, I did it on a whim. And let’s just say, my parents were not happy. According to them, the journey of self-discovery is not nearly as important as tending the family farm.

I may not know a lot, but I do know that I needed space to breathe. To figure out who I am and what I want out of life. I desperately needed change.

So I traded in my work boots and flannels for flip-flops, golf carts, and fit men in teeny-tiny swim trunks.

I came here for adventure, but I never would have guessed that on a tropical island filled with creepy lizards, poisonous jellyfish, and one obscenely deranged monkey, it would be the surfer with the tight body and smart mouth that I really had to watch out for.

Review: ⟫ We’ve been teased with Holden throughout this series so I was very pleased when I realised that this was his book and that it was in Cora Rose’s hands. The glimpses we’ve seen of Holden to date showed him to be caring, fun, impulsive and kind so I was interested to see who his match would be.

I wasn’t expecting Chase – I don’t think anyone could expect Chase – but I thought he was sweet, a little bumbling and quite possibly one of the most innocent people to turn up on the island. Their relationship was swift, passionate and life-changing for both of them. Holden has been keeping part of himself aloof from other people, but somehow Chase gets beneath all of his barriers and armour and shows Holden what it is like to be/feel safe.

And Holden allows Chase to fly – to explore all of the unspoken things inside himself, which is the whole reason he came to the island.

Why no five score? I was seriously not a fan of Holden and Chase’s first solo interaction. I understand what was being conveyed but for me, it missed the mark. It felt far too rushed and confusing for one party – I think I needed an enthusiastic yes rather than what happened. It was in no way non-consensual but I just felt that things were rushed a little too much in the name of showing overwhelming passion.

This was a good addition to the Black Diamond series and I look forward to reading more.

I received an ARC from Indie Author Creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment