Thursday 11 May 2023

New Blood by L.C. Davis (The Godbearer Book #4)

Title: ⟫ New Blood (The Godbearer Book #4)

Author: ⟫ L.C. Davis

Rating: ⟫ 3/5

Blurb: ⟫ I know this will end the way it covered in blood.

Too much? Me being a demigod now and all, I figure I can get away with a pinch of melodrama.

I mean, have you seen Olympus? It's a damn soap opera up there. One I'd rather be watching on the couch with popcorn than playing a starring role in.

Not that things are much better down here. I'm still in denial over being madly in love with Cameron, the likely father of my twin babies and the far more evil twin of one of my three boyfriends. Because self-destruction is my brand, apparently.

Fortunately, so is being a vampire-taming, totally badass witch, and I'm going to do whatever it takes to keep my weird little cult-slash-family safe. And convince Cameron he belongs in the circus with the rest of us.

No biggie, right?

(Jk, send help. And nachos. I've been craving those lately.)

Review: ⟫ I was very excited about this book because somehow I convinced myself that it was the last one in the series. It isn’t – in fact, it feels like a very short interlude and very short book and I got cross.

The good bits:

* we spend a chunk of time with Chase and Cameron where they ironed out a few things The new body-sharing thing was interesting and the chemistry between the two of them was palpable;

* the front cover with Hades is absolutely stunning – truly beautiful and quite possibly my favourite cover for this series;

* as always, the writing is engaging and fun, with Chase’s inner dialogue full of snark and banter.

The not-so-good bits:

* how short it was. I read this in a couple of hours and was left feeling like I’d barely scratched the surface or moved forward in the story at all;

* yet another God falling for Chase felt a bit too much for my liking. There was so much going on already, I’m not sure we needed to add someone else to the mix;

* the storyline is getting a bit rinse and repeat-esque. Chase throws himself into danger, the vampires try to figure out how to help/save him, Chase gets himself out of danger with some sex sprinkled in.

I want to know how this story ends and that’s why I keep reading, but I am getting a bit irritated by how much it feels like it’s being dragged out. Maybe I should wait until the whole thing is completely finished and then read it all in one go. I will read what comes next but my excitement is waning.

No comments:

Post a Comment