Monday 24 October 2022

Spirited Situation by Louisa Masters

 

Title: ⟫ Spirited Situation (Ghostly Guardians #1)
Author: ⟫ Louisa Masters
Blurb: ⟫ When you can talk to ghosts, things are bound to get spirited.

The ghosts have been there since before I can remember. When I was a kid, they doted on me, but as I got older, they got more demanding. I’ve spent my whole life seeing and talking to dead people and trying to pretend I’m not, because the living just don’t understand. Nobody wants to be around the freak who claims to see ghosts.

Until I go to Mannix Estate.

Once a private country home, then a posh hotel, it was closed after a suspicious incident but is now an immersive historic experience. It’s also haunted AF, and everyone knows it. Finally, I’ve found a place to work and live where I can be useful. Where I’m actually wanted.

There are only two problems: I spent a hot, sweaty, satisfying night with Ewan the blacksmith before I knew we’d have to work together. Everyone knows sex with colleagues is a bad idea, right? Even if he’s the world’s most ripped cinnamon roll.

Plus, the ghosts are keeping secrets. There’s something going on that’s not normal, even for a haunted estate. And I suspect that when the truth comes out, I’m the one who’ll have to deal with it… and it won’t be good.

Review: ⟫ I think I might be in a book slump. I had high hopes for this because the blurb sounded really intriguing – the idea of finding somewhere to call home where you ability to see and speak to ghosts is not only understood and accepted, but a bonus? Sounds excellent.

But for me, this entire story just felt really flat. I kept reading in the hope that something would spark and I would begin to feel invested, but instead I just felt like I was working. There were so many meetings, lots of talking, and so very, very little doing.

Even the chemistry between Josh and Ewan was flatter than a pancake, which is saying something considering they had a night of life-changing sex that made it impossible for them to keep away from each other. Not only did I not get what they saw in each other, I didn’t care.

The secret the ghosts are keeping was so out of left-field – like, it’s been absolutely fine for fifty years but suddenly because Josh turns up it’s a HUGE deal that must be dealt with immediately? It’s not like they couldn’t have communicated all of this to the people living at the Estate! There are more in the series but I can’t see me diving in here again.

1/5 from me unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment