Monday 24 October 2022

Devil's Mark by Lark Taylor (The Reckless Damned #1)

Title:
 ⟫ Devil’s Mark (The Reckless Damned #1)
Author: ⟫ Lark Taylor
Blurb: ⟫ Cal and his brothers turned their backs on the family business over a hundred years ago – but Hell is tired of waiting for them to return.

Cal

I’ve never wanted a relationship – especially not with a human. With my father demanding my return to Hell and a demon leaving dead bodies in my bookshop, now is not the time to be losing my heart. But one look in Oscar’s broken eyes and I know I’m in trouble. Oscar’s been hurt before and everything in me is screaming to keep him safe. How can I do that when I know being with me will only put him in more danger?

More importantly though, am I strong enough to walk away from him?

Oscar

After escaping my last relationship with broken bones and an anxiety disorder, I’m tired of living half a life. My world revolves around my classroom, flat, and best friend. When fate throws Cal in my path, he seems too good to be true. Not only does he look like he’s been pulled from my fantasies, but my baggage doesn’t scare him. OK, so there’s the tiny issue of him being a demon, but I’ve dealt with far scarier.

I’ve been broken once before, and I don’t think I’d survive it again. Can I pull down my barriers enough to let Cal in?

‘Devil’s Mark’ is a thrilling high heat, hurt/comfort, M/M contemporary paranormal romance with a HEA and no cliff-hanger. It features a possessive demon and the broken teacher who captures his heart. ‘Devil’s Mark’ is the first in The Reckless Damned series but can be read as a stand-alone. Each book focuses on a different couple and will have a HEA.

Trigger warning for emotional abuse and domestic violence in a previous relationship, anxiety attacks, and descriptions of violence.

Review: ⟫ Well this one made me feel like my reading slump was over and I was extremely surprised when reading the dedications at the back to discover this was the first book published by this author!

The premise sounded like one I would enjoy so I dived in and discovered a whole new world in a place I already slightly know. My brother used to live in Southampton so some of the places described were familiar to me. But wow, just thinking that the likes of Cal, Mori and Harlow might be hanging around there makes me wish my brother was still there.

The story was a ride and a half, with twists and turns, witty banter and seriously hot sex. I loved it – the time reading it flew by as I dived into a world where Lucifer’s sons are kicking about in Southampton, running nightclubs and bookshops, wearing hot-pants and falling in love.

Very well written, with a tight plot, good depth in the world building without feeling like an info-dump, this book was a delight to read and I am very much looking forward to reading more. 4.5/5 happily rounded up to 5 – definitely recommend giving this one a try.

I received an ARC from GRR. 

No comments:

Post a Comment