Wednesday 16 October 2024

Ravager by S.B. Hazel (A Twisted Bonds Novella)

TITLE: ⟫ Ravager

AUTHOR: ⟫ S.B. Hazel

SERIES: ⟫ A Twisted Bonds Novella

RATING: ⟫ 4/5

BLURB: ⟫ Running through a haunted Halloween maze, I feel the heat rising inside me—chased by a sexy devil in a mask, hotter than I ever imagined.

The thought of being captured, ravaged, ruined… it tempts me beyond reason. I want to stumble, to fall and surrender, to feel his arms close around me.

Desire and fear churn in a terrifying mix, my body burning for what comes next.

I want to be his, to be wrecked by the faceless man at my back.

When he catches me, what will he do? Will I succumb to his darkest desires?

Ravager is a 12k MM novella featuring a Halloween maze and primal play.

REVIEW: ⟫ Heading into Halloween season, it seemed appropriate to start reading/reviewing things that are a little bit darker! Which was why the cover of his novella caught my eye – it looks like it would be fun and a little bit dark!

This novella is part of a larger series although I haven’t read any of that series. There was backstory provided here but mainly enough to titillate you into reading the rest of the series rather than being necessary for enjoying this.

Cole is a little bit twisted by his upbringing and appears to be obsessed with Avery. He is very much the darker half of the duo, with some daddy issues thrown in for good measure. He steals from his father in order to afford Avery in an ‘auction’, which as part of the prize includes a chase through a Halloween maze and a private dance.

Avery comes across as a little naive maybe? But also really likes the idea of being chased as something a bit different from the ordinary.

Obviously with a novella, things happen very quickly, but time is given to the chase in the maze that was fun to read. I got a little distracted with the descriptions of the decorations – I guess it seemed a bit superfluous to things and I would have preferred there to be more of the interactions in the maze. It sounded like it was going to be seriously hot and slightly terrifying at the same time.

The dancing/sex scene was generally good although no real negotiation between them for what was happening. Avery seemed into the whole anonymous idea of things but I would say it was slightly problematic that Cole knew who Avery was but not the other way around. However, this was clearly listed in the warnings so that if it’s something that doesn’t appeal, there was definitely time to close the book!

Overall, I enjoyed reading it – it was fun, sexy and entertaining and I think I would be quite interested in reading a full novel about how Cole gets out of the situation he’s placed himself in.

I received an ARC from BookSirens.

No comments:

Post a Comment