Friday 20 September 2024

Forbidden Puckboy by Eden Finley & Saxon James (Puckboys Book #7)

TITLE: ⟫ Forbidden Puckboy

AUTHOR: ⟫ Eden Finley & Saxon James

SERIES: ⟫ Puckboys Book #7

RATING: ⟫ 4.5/5

BLURB: ⟫ Easton

You know what’s the worst feeling in the world? Being in love with someone since you were twelve years old, knowing they only see you as a little brother type.

Not even becoming an NHL star has made him realize I’m all grown up now.

All of that changes when I ask my brother’s best friend to ref a charity match and we spend an entire week in each other’s pocket.

Being close to him is torture, but for the first time since my adolescent crush started, I begin to feel hope. I swear Knox looks at me the same way I look at him. Or so I think. When I throw myself at him and get utterly rejected, I never want to see him again.

Yet, shaking him is impossible, because he and Connor are always around, and my older brother is suffocatingly protective. Every time I look at Knox, I’m reminded of how he turned me down.

Can’t I just die of embarrassment in peace?

Knox

The Kiki brothers are legendary in the NHL world. Thick as thieves, unstoppable on the ice, and the kind of family nothing can come between. Or so I thought.

For the last ten years, I’ve successfully hidden my feelings for the middle Kiki brother. Easton is snarky, determined, and the prettiest guy I’ve met. Ever since we stumbled across each other on a gay dating app and shared our secrets, I’ve felt a connection to him that I haven’t had with anything else.

But Connor is my best friend and when it comes to his little brothers, “protective” doesn’t cover it. I’m determined to take my feelings for Easton to the grave, but after a week in close proximity to him, my willpower is ready to break.

All it takes is one charity hockey match, a drunken night out, and a forbidden kiss for me to know that Easton Kikishkin is it for me.

And unless I want to lose Connor, Easton will never be mine.

REVIEW: ⟫ When I started reading this, I thought it was going to be a hockey spin on the best friend’s sibling trope, which to some extent it was. But it was also based on a lot more ‘realism’ – it was about whether you have the faith in yourself to take chances; realising that love and romance take effort and work; accepting the changing roles that people have in life.

I really enjoyed reading this, predominantly for Easton and Knox, but also for the progression in Connor’s character. We see him having to accept the changing roles in his brother and best friend’s lives, how his perception of himself and his role in life needs to change, and perhaps a new perspective on his past life.

Knox and Easton are brilliant together – they are so obviously each other’s person that occasionally, it saddened me that Knox seemed prepared to call it quits too easily. However, the more that I read, the more I could understand why he was the way that he was. After all, hard enough to face the reality of your slight lack of talent compared to an entire family of superstars – how much harder to try to build a relationship when your entire career rests on your ability to be impartial?

I loved the catch up with the Queer Collective, although I admit that I occasionally struggle to remember who everyone is, how they got together and how they relate to each other. I’m pretty sure that in a Facebook group somewhere, someone has created a kind of family tree that shows how everyone is connected so I might have to have a look at that before the next Puckboy book!

Eden Finley and Saxon James are a magic combination and this book is no exception. A worthy addition to the entire series and I look forward to the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment