Friday 16 August 2024

The Former Fake Boyfriend by Maya Jean (Sweet Southern Book #2)

TITLE: ⟫ The Former Fake Boyfriend

AUTHOR: ⟫ Maya Jean

SERIES: ⟫ Sweet Southern Book #2

RATING: ⟫ 4/5

BLURB: ⟫ Beau

The strong one. The dependable one. Eldest son. Big brother. Now the family farm is mine to run. My entire life is centered around others. To keep the attention off me at my baby sister’s wedding, I impulsively hire a fake boyfriend to give the pretense of happiness. What I don’t expect is a man that seamlessly fits into my life. Trevor holds me up when no one else thinks twice about my needs or wants. And he keeps coming back for me. Again and again. Our relationship might be fake to Trevor, but I’m playing for keeps.

Trevor

Fake boyfriend. Good friend. Shitty son. Faking is my only real skill. The dark family secrets I carry inside remind me daily of my worth. Nothing. I’m only of value when I’m providing fake boyfriends a service. But when a sweet farmer hires me for a wedding weekend, everything slowly starts to unravel. Beau works his way into my battered heart with gentle smiles, shy looks, and profound steadiness. Safe with Beau, maybe it’s finally time to stop faking my way through life.

The Former Fake Boyfriend is the second novel in the Sweet Southern series. Expect a swoony fake dating romance between a city boy sex worker and a gentle giant farmer featuring an age gap, hurt/comfort, and second chances.

REVIEW: ⟫ When I say that this was easy to read, I mean that the characters draw you in pretty much immediately and it was very easy to enter the world of Beau and Trevor. However, the things that Trevor and Beau were handling weren’t easy and I really appreciated the thought and effort the author put into showing these two men being so vulnerable with each other. The strength that they both showed in such different circumstances was fascinating to read – with Trevor, it wasn’t always easy to understand why he did what he did – but the parallels between the two of them made it perfectly plain why they were so good for each other.

I read the Husband Experience previously so knew some of the background, but I didn’t expect to care as much as I did about these two.

The phone calls between them – the one word from Trevor – made me feel so sad for him. I can’t imagine going through what he did and could well understand his difficulty in accepting the love that was offered to him. The background characters were fun, touching and very real, and I very much enjoyed reading how these two men fought for their happy ever after.

I received an ARC from GRR.

No comments:

Post a Comment