Sunday 28 July 2024

Method Acting by N.R. Walker (Franklin U Book #7)

TITLE: ⟫ Method Acting

AUTHOR: ⟫ N.R. Walker

SERIES: ⟫ Franklin U 2 Book #7

RATING: ⟫ 5/5

BLURB: ⟫ Chase Soria

Every budding actor knows acting is a difficult gig. There will be grueling auditions and punishing rejections. If you’re lucky, there’ll be roles that pay the bills and even roles that won’t.

Roles we don’t believe in.

But that’s what acting is—acting as if we do believe in them.

So when the semester’s production project is announced and I’m cast as one of the leads, I’m ecstatic. A lot of responsibility, a lot of work, but I’m up for it. Even when I find out what my role is and who my partner is. Amos, the brooding James Dean wannabe, is my on-screen boyfriend. Which is great, except for the fact he hates me.

I can do this. It’s just acting.

Nothing more.

Amos Beddington

The 90s are back, apparently. 90210 and Friends, but with a reality TV spin, which means cameras following us around as if they’re capturing the everyday lives of Franklin U students.

Me, but not me.

Me, with no more than a character description, no script or screenplay. Method acting, being the character 24/7, not just when the cameras are rolling. With a campus boyfriend.

Method acting is immersive and intense, and it can be confusing if the lines begin to blur. I mean, I’ve dreamed of being with the irritatingly gorgeous and annoyingly popular Chase Soria, and now I have to be his on-screen boyfriend?

I’m a good actor, sure. But how can I be convincing when I’m not sure I can even convince myself?

REVIEW: ⟫ This may well turn out to be my favourite of all of the Franklin U 2 books and that is saying something! There was just something about Amos and Chase that dragged me almost immediately and I found myself so invested! The dilemma of what’s the line between method acting and truly feeling something was handled so well, and I really loved the way that all of the people involved stressed the importance of consent on several occasions – it wasn’t just a throwaway line and then completely ignored and I really appreciated that.

The relationship between Amos and Chase was fascinating to watch, especially with Amos being determined to remain aloof whilst Chase was literally a golden retriever that had discovered it liked this particular human – it was awesome and made me giggle more than once. Jimmy deserves a shout-out all of his own – this boy was absolute gold! I felt like I was watching a reality show and could well imagine the bloopers that we were allowed to see. The whole idea was built on so well and interesting to read – the issues with people who weren’t part of the experiment but who were affected by it; the intimacy exercises; the cliff-hangers (I’m talking about them slamming the door in the face of the camera in case you’re wondering!) – it was all masterfully handled and I loved it.

N.R.Walker is a favourite author of mine and they definitely hit the ball out of the park with this one. Engrossing, entertaining and sexy as all heck, I really fell in love with this method acting.

No comments:

Post a Comment