Monday 22 April 2024

The Gargoyle and the Romance Writer by Chloe Archer (Monsters Hollow Book #2)

TITLE: ⟫ The Gargoyle and the Romance Writer

AUTHOR: ⟫ Chloe Archer

SERIES: ⟫ Monsters Hollow Book #2

RATING: ⟫ 3.5/5

BLURB:Welcome to Monsters Hollow, where love knows no bounds—even in a town full of monsters!

A quirky romance writer in hiding. A sexy gargoyle lover turned bodyguard. And a stalker that just won’t quit...

Ryder St. James

I assumed writing swoony romance novels about humans and Otherkind might attract some unsavory attention. But I never imagined I’d have an obsessive fan stalking me.

As a former foster kid, I’m pretty resilient but this situation is messing with my sleep and I’m on deadline for my next book!

About the only thing that can help at times like this is some regular mind-blowing…release. Trust me, solo methods just aren’t enough and hooking up with randos isn't my style. I need someone safe who can reliably rock my world in the bedroom and maybe help me with my research as a bonus!

Enter the hunky Scottish gargoyle who’s been flirting with me ever since I arrived to hide out in Mystic Hollow. We come up with an ideal no-strings and no-feelings arrangement.

After all, romance is just a fantasy I write about in my books--right?

Vash DarkWing

From the moment I met Ryder St. James, I wanted to know more about the bonnie, brave man who speaks his mind. With no filter.

When he proposes a few weeks of mutually beneficial shagging before his book tour starts, I immediately jump on the chance to, well, jump him. Just a bit of fun and maybe friendship.

Hell’s bells, but Ryder slips past all my defenses and wins my affections without even trying! Now, I’ll do whatever it takes to keep the man I love safe. Even if it means putting my heart as well as my life on the line.

The Gargoyle and the Romance Writer features an inappropriately curious novelist, a sexy Scottish gargoyle, a speciality harness for aerial…shenanigans, a creepy stalker, and true love for the win. This is the second book in the Monsters Hollow series and can be read as a standalone.

REVIEW: ⟫ I actually find this review difficult to write because this book was – different. I haven’t read the previous book in the series (I didn’t realise it was a series initially) so I had no previous knowledge of the characters. This possibly impacted my initial enjoyment as from the very beginning, we start the book on an incident that obviously harks back to the first one.

I found the characters to be a bit of a caricature on occasion – Max, for example, came across as a bit of a stereotype with the way he was described, his mannerisms and attire. This wasn’t necessarily a negative but I was a little thrown by it. I also struggled to connect with Ryder as a character – it felt very much like I should feel a certain way about him because of his upbringing, his attitude and his demeanour. It felt very much like he was written as a neurodivergent character whereby a lot of his mannerisms were ‘covered’ by his neurodivergence. It felt – maybe a little lazy? His inappropriate questions were not amusing after a few occasions of them happening, and I would have expected a man of his age to have better masking techniques.

I thought Vash was fascinating and I wish I had learned more about him – the bits we did find out about his home, actions and motivations was really interesting. The forum entries at the beginning of each chapter were fun to read and to try to guess who each person was. I thought the relationship between Vash and Ryder was nice – it built slowly with regard to the emotional aspect of things, and I liked how respectful, open and honest they were with each other.

I’m not sure if I would describe this story as steamy – there were sex scenes that were quite descriptive and explicit, but I didn’t connect with them very well and wasn’t as involved in them as I might have been. The best way that I can describe it is that I felt like I was told what they were feeling and experiencing rather than feeling it myself – the best sex scenes affect you on a visceral level and I didn’t get that from this story.

The stalker storyline felt under-developed but that might have been covered more in book one, so that is on me for not reading the first book. I did guess who the stalker was going to be but I don’t think it was meant to be a huge surprise by the time the confrontation took place. I did enjoy the confrontation, especially because Ryder proved himself more than capable of looking after himself which I appreciated – he wasn’t a damsel in distress.

The investigation into the magic within Mystic Hollow was intriguing and the arrival of a particular character definitely alludes to future stories. Overall, this was a pleasant read and I enjoyed the time I spent in Mystic Hollow. I’m not sure if I will try to read the first story, mainly because a lot of the plot might well have been spoiled for me by reading this first. I would recommend finding the rest of the series first so that you can enjoy things in the correct order.

I received an ARC from GRR.

No comments:

Post a Comment