Sunday 14 April 2024

Lights, Camera, Passion by Isabel Lucero

TITLE: ⟫ Lights, Camera, Passion

AUTHOR: ⟫ Isabel Lucero

RATING: ⟫ 2.5/5

BLURB: ⟫ Playing a lead role in a book-to-movie adaptation with a wild fan base? Sign me up! The only downside is that I’m cast alongside Jacoby “Heartthrob” Hart—Hollywood’s golden boy. If only they knew he was an uppity, pompous snob.

We don’t get along, and if you’re reading the tabloids, you’d assume it was because I “stole” his girlfriend, but they have it all wrong. Jacoby and his cold shoulder started this, and now we’re set to play lovers. The only thing I’d love to do is strangle him, but I’m a professional.

Behind the scenes, we’re either bickering or avoiding each other, but when the cameras start rolling, I can’t believe how much chemistry we have.

One night, during a passionate argument, something happens that I never anticipated. The chemistry that started out as an act turns into much more behind closed doors, but we both have secrets, and Hollywood is a hard place to keep those.

Lights, Camera, Passion is an enemies-to-lovers story between two supposedly straight actors who don't get along but are cast to play lovers in a book-to-movie adaptation. Expect bickering, banter, tension, chemistry, and a couple of revelations straining to burst free from the closet.

REVIEW: ⟫ I wanted to like this so very, very much. The idea of a closeted gay actor and a bisexual actor acting together in a book adaptation and falling in love – just the idea made me squeal with delight. Unfortunately for me, this just didn’t do it.

The actual filming was over so quickly and barely covered – for some reason, I expected there for be more of the actual ‘film’ involved in the story. The relationship that built between Roman and Jacoby also felt really perfunctory. Yes, they were both attracted to the other before they met to film. And I could see how the tabloids would have played up the whole ‘romantic rivals’ thing from them both dating the same actress. But there were far too many misunderstandings that felt contrived and unnecessary.

I felt like we spent a lot of time with Jacoby going back and forth about his desire to hide his sexuality, whereas Roman’s feelings about his parents were handled in less than one chapter – I was disappointed because the point was made that his feelings about his parents played a huge role in his public persona. I wanted that to be explored more and definitely felt a little less time on Jacoby and more on what made Roman tick would have helped the story.

Their relationship was portrayed as very steamy and passionate, but I didn’t feel it. Reading their love-making scenes I felt quite removed – I guess the best description would be it felt very much like telling me what they were feeling rather than making me feel it with them. I just found myself very removed from the whole thing and that was disappointing.

It’s a shame because I think the story idea was brilliant and I would have loved to have felt more immersed in the whole thing. Obviously, YMMV, but for me this wasn’t a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment