Saturday 17 February 2024

Arranged Salvation by Jacey Davis (Arranging Love Book #3)

TITLE: ⟫ Arranged Salvation

AUTHOR: ⟫ Jacey Davis

SERIES: ⟫ Arranging Love Book #3

RATING: ⟫ 3.5/5

BLURB:Bastion: Making that phone call was the hardest thing I’d ever done. But also the best. I was terrified of what would happen once I asked my half-brother for help, but I had no other choice. I’d do anything to protect the baby growing inside of me. Even if that meant escaping my husband’s home and possibly putting everyone’s life in danger in the process. It was the most selfish thing I’d ever done but for the most selfless reason.

I knew there would be consequences for my actions, but I never expected I’d have to pretend I had a fated mate. But being tied to an alpha like Arden wasn’t a hardship. He was kind, sweet, caring, and protective. He was everything I never thought an alpha could be. He was showing me that the world wasn’t as terrible as I believed, and that maybe not all alphas were cruel. I just wished fate was kind to me for once and he was truly my fated. But I knew better than to hope for too much and was grateful for what I did have with Arden.

Arden: I always knew I was a smidge overprotective. Caring for my pack was my love language. But nothing compared to how intense those feelings were toward Bastion. I had sensed…something…between us when I met him all those months ago but hadn’t thought much of it. Now that he was mine, though, even if it was just on paper, that caretaker side that was always just under the surface had its moment to shine. I’d do anything to protect Bastion.

Anything.

With the government breathing down our throats and the political climate getting more heated every day, I might be putting that to the test.

Arranged Salvation is book three in the Arranging Love series. Each book is an interconnected standalone with new MCs and at least an HFN for the couple. It is strongly recommended that you read the previous books, as there is an overarching storyline that continues throughout the series. However, it would be possible to read this one without those. Arranged Salvation is a slow-burn, plot-heavy MPreg omegaverse featuring a traumatized omega trying to protect his baby, an overprotective alpha with a soft side, a fake fated mating, and a lot of people doing anything they can to undermine them.

It is an alternate reality omegaverse with adult themes and explicit content. It is not meant for those under 18. This book contains on page MPreg. This is a world where omegas have very few rights and are essentially owned by their alpha guardian or mate. There is also a biological kink element where alphas are biologically inclined towards dominance while omegas are inclined towards submission.

Content warning: societal repression of a group of people, on-page violence, detailed mentions of abuse, undiagnosed PTSD, panic attacks, on-page MPreg, and off-page SA, and ongoing abuse (not by MCs) that is described. There is also a consensual Daddy kink dynamic between the MCs and very light age regression. Please see the book for a more detailed warning.

REVIEW: ⟫ There felt like simultaneously a lot to take in and yet not a lot happening on-page with regard to the central romance. I had read a previous book in this series, Arranged by Fate so the characters and premise were familiar to me. At the front of this book is a very helpful list of characters, how they fit into the story and who they are currently partnered with, as well as a list of triggers.

We are thrown straight into the action with Bastion locked away in a cupboard, finally calling for help from Lyric. It definitely felt like I needed to have read the previous books as it immediately referred to things that had happened previously, but I was able to guestimate what I had missed. Bastion’s plight – being at the mercy of his evil alpha – was described very well, as was his emotional state, so I was settled in for some hurt/comfort.

However, I would say that there were so many politics going on, the main couple didn’t get as much focus as I would have liked. This was definitely slow-burn, with things being very plot-heavy for a large amount of the story, often to the detriment of the romantic side of things. I wanted to see more of the interactions between Arden and Bastion, and however much I enjoyed the world building, I feel that the romance should have featured more heavily.

As mentioned, there is light age regression, which was handled smoothly and sweetly; however, the Daddy kink wasn’t explored as much as I was hoping. I was impressed with the fact that Daddy/boy was recognised as a ‘normal’ dynamic between mates and therefore no-one seemed to bat an eyelid at Bastion calling Arden ‘Daddy’ a few times.

After a while, the cast of characters felt like they became a little unwieldy – when they were trying to escape from government retaliation I knew there were a large number of people I should care about, but after a while they just became names on a page, and this was a shame.

I think the main issue I had with this story was that I wasn’t expecting it to be so politics heavy, and although it was interesting I feel that it got in the way of the building of the relationship between the two main characters. I also think it can be difficult to handle so many previously established relationships deftly enough to satisfy people’s desire for an update on previous favourites whilst dedicating enough time to the ‘featured’ couple.

It was a good addition to the series, and the writing is easy to read and understand. I didn’t “feel” as much as I wanted to but I think that might just be a me thing and YMMV. Well written, a solid entry in the series but I would definitely suggest reading the previous books to be able to know who everyone is and where they belong.

I received an ARC from GRR.

No comments:

Post a Comment