Saturday 19 November 2022

Wrecked But Not Ruined by Nicole Dykes

Title : ⟫ Wrecked But Not Ruined

Author: ⟫ Nicole Dykes

Blurb: ⟫ Ethan

I had everything. I was going to college and having a blast. Enjoying myself and not taking much seriously. But then, two years ago, everything changed.

A car wreck destroyed my life. It sent me into a total tailspin. I walked away, even when everyone said I wouldn’t be able to.

But I haven’t recovered from it.

The only thing I have left is my best friend, but I’m sure he’ll give up on me soon. Even so, I can’t fight the truth . . . I’m irrevocably ruined.

Knox

College is coming to an end, and I couldn’t be happier to finally start my real life.

Ethan and I had plans. So many amazing plans. And then, everything changed. He was in a horrific wreck, but he miraculously survived. Except it took a piece of him.

I’ve tried to help him get it back. Tried to get him to go to a trauma support group and come back to me.

He thinks he’s broken, but I know the real Ethan is still there. The brave, outgoing man I’ve known my entire life. And I’m going to help him see the truth. That he can overcome this.

That he may have been a little wrecked, but he wasn’t ruined.

Review: ⟫ This may well be one of the sweetest, most hopeful and most caring books I've ever read.

Ethan has survived a traumatic car accident but because he escaped with minimal injuries, he truly doesn't see the trauma. Reading how his life has changed since the incident and his view of himself was really painful, but also very realistic. After all, a lot of people would dismiss his fears and continuing trauma as him being overdramatic - after all, he wasn't that hurt. 

It was really interesting seeing the group of people he has managed to surround himself with who all care for him dearly, but are also aware that they can't help him until he is ready to help himself 

Knox was really sweet and a rock-solid friend in a way that so many people need. And it was an interesting twist to realise that he had suffered trauma of his own. I liked the parallels the author made and the overriding message that came through loud and clear - it doesn't have to be life-threatening to be trauma.

This was a very nicely written story, with a great list of characters and a solid pairing in Knox and Ethan. I found it a quick, satisfying read and am happy to recommend it.

I received an ARC from GRR. 

No comments:

Post a Comment