Saturday 19 November 2022

Sins of Yesterday by Romeo Preminger

Title: ⟫ Sins of Yesterday

Author: ⟫ Romeo Preminger

Blurb:The first book in Preminger's Southern Gothic, family secrets epic: the Arizona series.


It's 1984, and fifteen-year-old Arizona is doing his best to take care of his younger brothers and sister while their daddy drives a truck cross-country and spends his pay-check on booze and gambling. In small town southeastern Louisiana, his family is known as the lowest of the low, and they say it's on account of a family curse that's so ugly, no one would dare speak of it.


Then Arizona's daddy loses his job, and things go from bad to worse. He baits Arizona into a fight, and their brawl results in him and his brothers and sister being split up by Social Services. Arizona is determined to make a better man of himself and take care of his siblings, but he's up against a world controlled by adults, small town prejudices, and unfathomable family secrets that will change everything he thought he knew about himself.


Review: ⟫ I had no clue what I was getting into reading this story.


It sucks you in with it’s almost casual telling of events, events so horrific that there were a couple of times I had to go back and re-read what I had taken in. This poor boy goes through so much it’s just awful, and it seems like every single time he gets a break, things get worse.


When he finally found love, real love, my heart lifted. Even when it became apparent that Nicholas wouldn’t be able to follow Arizona out into the world, the fact that Nicholas was happy for him to fly and thrive, trusting that he would come back, made it all worthwhile.


School was just how I imagined it to be – perhaps because Arizona is only two years older than me I could imagine just the type of thing he faced. But to find that school wasn’t the worse thing that was going to happen to him – I didn’t expect that. And perhaps I should have been prepared, but I wasn’t.


It does end on a bit of a cliffhanger, which I think people should be warned about, but I am heading into the second book once I’ve taken an emotional break.


The writing is engaging – almost slowly hypnotic in that you can ‘hear’ the accents and how people spoke. I haven’t read any Southern Gothic books before so didn’t know what to expect. Depending on how this trilogy ends, I may dip my toe further into the genre.


A very solid 4/5 for me and I am looking forward to reading more.


I received an ARC from GRR in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment