Tuesday 25 October 2022

The Sceptic by Lily Morton

Title: ⟫ The Sceptic

Author: ⟫ Lily Morton

Blurb: ⟫ As the best friend of a psychic, Will Buchanan can’t help but believe in the dead. It’s the living that he finds to be problematic. However, after a spate of betrayals, he finally has the chance of a new life within his grasp, and he’s not going to risk it for anyone or anything. Staying safe is the name of Will’s game.

Jem Dawson defines the word temporary. A talented cameraman, he’s here today and will undoubtedly be gone tomorrow chasing adventure and danger. But, while he’s in York, he’s made it clear he wants Will, and Will can’t help liking the charming daredevil.

This inconvenient attraction results in Will accompanying Jem to the site of a notorious poltergeist outbreak. A malevolent spirit has targeted a family, and now the ghost hunting team for whom Jem does camerawork are going to be locked down in the house for three days.

The house is strange and filled with sinister and violent undercurrents. One by one, the group experiences threatening incidents, and as events escalate, Will has to ask himself if he's risking not just his heart but also his life with this impulsive gesture.

This is the first book in the Arcana Books series featuring characters from the bestselling Black and Blue series.

Review: ⟫ It seems like it’s been my week for reading about extremely tall men with lots of tattoos, which lets be honest is a great way to spend the week.

I haven’t read the Blue Billings books although I might try to grab hold of them after reading this. The Sceptic was a really interesting combination of romance, suspense and quite a bit of terror – some of the nightmares in there actually freaked me out a little and my daughter accidentally jump-scared me as I was reading and didn’t see her come into my room! The spooky side of things was very well written – possibly a little bit too well – and I really wanted to know what was in the house as much as Jem and Ben. I also completely understood Will wanting to run away and never come back!

The relationship between Jem and Will was so much fun – they both seemed able to see the truth about each other, warts and all, yet appreciate the other person anyway. Will’s character didn’t have the typical background of a male lead and I appreciated that – he wasn’t a cardboard cut-out, but was full of fears, desires and aspirations – when was the last time a male lead aspired to be an accountant!

As always, very strong writing, believable side-characters, but with enough of a break from reality not to be depressing. I would like to know more about the characters in the bookshops and can see myself following the Arcana series in the future.

I received an ARC from GRR.

No comments:

Post a Comment