Friday 21 October 2022

His Lethal Desire by Leighton Greene (West Coast Mobster #1)


Title:
 ⟫ His Lethal Desire (West Coast Mobster 1)

Author: ⟫ Leighton Greene
Blurb: ⟫ There’s nothing more lethal than a hitman in love.

Johnny “Jack” Jacopo was once the Castellani Family’s top hitman, but one terrible mistake saw him kicked back down the ladder. So when the Boss orders him to look into the disappearance of a Hollywood starlet, Jack sees an opportunity to rise back up the Family ranks.

His first move is to question the missing actress’s twin brother. Miller Beaumont is charming, gorgeous, flirty…and he’s the same guy who was hitting on Jack in a bar the night before.

Jack tries to keep things strictly business, but Miller has access to inside information that Jack needs to solve the case. And it’s just too tempting when Miller proposes that they team up to find his sister.

As their search leads them into danger, Jack finds he has more to lose than he ever expected. Someone is coming after Miller, and Jack finds himself torn between duty to his Family and his own foolish heart.

Because despite himself, Jack is making one more mistake, the biggest of them all, the one dumb thing he swore he’d never do.

He’s falling in love.

***

His Lethal Desire is the first book in the West Coast Mobsters series. Follow the men of the Los Angeles underworld in this page-turning romantic suspense series as they find love, danger and mystery in the most unexpected places.

Each book in West Coast Mobsters tells the love story of a different couple who find their happy ending, as well as a resolution to the mystery they're investigating, but there are cliffhangers to the wider suspense plot for the series.

Content advisory notes are available to view on the Copyright page via Look Inside or by downloading the sample.

Review: ⟫ Ooh this one was a lot of fun! I wasn’t quite sure what to expect from the blurb – in fact, I wasn’t sure if I wanted to read it from the blurb, but something about it got to me so I thought I would give it a go and I am so pleased that I did!

This book was fun, sometimes scary, the mystery was seriously like watching a film noir, and majorly sexy! I read it in one sitting because I couldn’t bring myself to put it down – I kept promising just one more chapter and then flying past that marker!

Jack sounds absolutely divine – especially with his pale blue eyes and the way he’s described – just completely yummy! Initially he fulfilled every mafia stereotype I could think of and came across as a bit of a thug, but the more I read, the more I fell in love with him. He was just so loyal and upfront, as well as wisecracking! The image of him driving around in a Pinto made me smile for ages!

And Miller – he surprised me more than once. Yes, he got himself into a couple of issues in not doing as he was told, but he was also intelligent enough to know when he was out of his depth. Miller was a softy for the people he loved, always willing to put them first and often to his detriment. And he didn’t deserve to be treated the way he was by the people that he loved.

The background characters were fascinating in their own way as well – Sandro made my heart break just a little; Freddy is the man to have at your back. And I must admit, I have a bit of a soft-spot for Julian – just because he sounds so completely and utterly insane, and I kinda hope he gets his own story.

Probably nowhere near as dark as some might expect a mafia story to be, I nevertheless found it engrossing, entertaining and a big hit. I will definitely be looking out for more on the West Coast mobsters. 4.5/5 from me, happily rounded up to 5!

I received an ARC from GRR.

No comments:

Post a Comment