Tuesday 25 October 2022

Anubis by Adrienne Wilder (Wolves Incarnate II)

Title:
 ⟫ Anubis (Wolves Incarnate II)
Author: ⟫ Adrienne Wilder
Blurb: ⟫ It was supposed to be over: The Utah Facility discovered, New World Genetics dismantled, and the people hunting Luca, dead.

Then strangers who call themselves Varu, come to Luca for help.

They claim he’s a Cana and tell him he’s the only one who can bring back their wolves.

NoX doesn’t want to trust them, then he learns how people called Mah are responsible for the atrocities committed in the Utah Facility. And that the Anubis residing inside NoX will consume him and destroy Luca.

But they promise they can protect Luca if NoX will let them cure him of the ichor.

Luca knows the perception of the Varu is contaminated by the tragedy that decimated their people and separated them from their wolves.

He also knows the Anubis isn’t the mindless entity they believe it to be, a danger to him, or the world.

In fact, the Anubis might be the only thing strong enough to unite a warring people and protect humanity against the real enemy who wants to enslave it.

If NoX won’t listen to reason, Luca will use the Anubis to save them both.

After all, Luca is NoX's Alpha.

And the Anubis is really Luca’s wolf to call.

Review: ⟫ I must admit, I thought that there would be less physics in this book, which was most definitely not the case. And the cast of characters got a LOT bigger, which was occasionally confusing.

The Varu sucked – there’s no other way to describe them. I particularly hated Isaiah as he came across as bigoted, close-minded and manipulative. I was more than a little unhappy with NoX allowing someone like that to get into his head. That being said, the thought of living thousands of years with an integral part of yourself missing would no doubt warp the best of people.

The relationship between Luca, NoX and the Anubis continued to grow and deepen, and I liked the fact that Luca had a relationship with the Anubis that was separate to NoX – his understanding of the creature, of what it wanted/needed, was fascinating to read.

Johnathan and Reese Dante are an interesting duo. I was repelled by Craige (which I imagine was the point) and the introduction of this new couple was intriguing and is hopefully explore further in future novels.

The machinations in the background were interesting and intriguing, although sometimes more than a little confusing. In fact, I think that is my main feeling about this book – there were so many confusing factions that it was becoming muddled in my head. I can’t imagine how Adrienne Wilder manages to keep it all clear in their head and my hat goes off to them.

This was another very long book which, again, I felt would benefit from a ruthless editor to get rid of the spelling mistakes, name and grammar errors – again, sometime things like that pulled me out of the plot. I absolutely adore Phillips and think she is incredibly kick-ass and someone I would most definitely want on my side.

Expanding on the world-building of the first story, and adding more lore as well as future plans make this an intriguing and engrossing addition to the Wolves Incarnate verse and I do look forward to reading the next instalment although I don’t know how long it’s going to be before this is published.

This was another HFN for me, with the addition of more couples and characters to care for. I would recommend reading it but be prepared to keep your brain engaged because you’ll need it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment